Sunday, May 23, 2010

Grice 8th grade social 5-21-10




Friday's event was a rockin' good time! I had the pleasure of Djiing an 8th grade social for Grice middle school @ the Colonial firehouse in Hamilton NJ. I arrived at the location about 4:30 and began the load in, it was a smooth and easy load using my cart over the massive tiled floor. I got it all loaded in and got my setup going in about 45 minutes. I used a secondary table as a request table and placed it far enough away to keep a buffer between myself and the table. Having done dozens of middle school events I know that numerous requests will be offered and this age group is typically impatient and will request you to death. The request table eliminates the interference and makes life so much easier as you can field the requests at your leisure without the scrutiny of the students. The students poured in around 6:30 and were dressed to the nines, guys in their suits girls in their lovely summer dresses. The noise level went from zero to loud as soon as the door swung open. They ate dinner rather quickly and I played lightly in the background. I had a few props IE: cool visor shades, glow bracelets, leis, mardi gras beads etc.. I placed the first box at the request table following dinner time the students came in droves and attacked the box! A few of the chaperone's saw the melee and quickly tried to gain control over the zealous youngsters. Once dancing time began we partied and partied hard to the latest top 40 jams. It was pretty high energy all night with a few strategic slow songs sprinkled in for good measure. The chaperone's roved the dancefloor with flashlights in tow to try and keep the grinding to a minimum. To spite their best efforts the grinding was going down, funny thing is it was mostly girls grinding each other. The night was a huge success and the staff and students had a fantastic time. I closed the night with My girl by the Temptations and had the crowd young and old singing to this feel good classic. All in all it was a great night I passed a few cards to the facility and was thanked by the faculty and banquet hall graciously!

Spinzy

No comments:

Post a Comment