Friday, April 2, 2010

March 13th Nia's Sweet 16




Ok so to intro this one a little background is in order. Nia is my wife's cousin and obviously mine too now. I've had the duty and pleasure to DJ most of my family's special events and looked forward to providing the tunes for such a special day.So Saturday morning I ran around to get my suit from the cleaners, gear from storage, brother from my mom's, sister's from my mother in laws etc.. This was all before we even could leave BTW this was the first day of the massive rain and flooding that has been plaguing the north east as of late. the car was jammed packed with my sisters, brother and a family friend as well as all my DJ gear in the back. We loaded up and prepared for the 2 hr trip to Delaware. We battled the rain the entire time which seemed to get worse the closer we got to Delaware. Once arriving we met my aunt, uncle and cousins at the church hall were the party was being held. I loaded in my gear as the family helped get the room ready for the party ie: getting tables and chairs, food prep, decorations etc... The party started slowly as the sweet 16 court took forever to get it together. Once the court was introduced we rolled on with the formal activities including : worship dancers, scripture readings, Daddy daughter dance, shoe ceremony etc.. After we finished with that the buffet style dinner was served. I played some uptempo Jazz and other dinner appropriate music to keep the mood mellow but not boring. Once dinner was through we partied to:

Cupid Shuffle- Cupid
Cha Cha Slide- Mr C
Ride Dat Wave- Dj Frosty
Wanna Be Starting Something- MJ
Watcha Say- Jason Derulo
God In Me- Mary Mary
This is it - Kirk Franklin
Apache- Sugar Hill gang

I got a great response from the fresh prince of Bel Air theme song which I dropped after Sugar Hill gang's Apache noting the famous dance routine Will and Carlton did to the song on the popular TV show. Overall the night was a great success and I am so happy to know I had a part in it. Congrats to my beautiful cousin Nia on her journey to young womanhood, and thanks Uncle Winslow and Auntie Darlene for your love, and continued support! Love Y'all

Spinzy

No comments:

Post a Comment